ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S) is currently seeking a Public Contracting Specialist to join the Global Policy and Advocacy Team for the project ‘Bolstering Integrity in Public Contracting: A Reinvigorated Approach and Coalition on Integrity Pacts’.
The Integrity Pact (IP) is an internationally recognized initiative designed to uphold the law in public contracting procedures and effectively address and respond to corruption risks. Although it has been implemented in more than 30 countries, its adoption remains mostly exceptional or intermittent. However, a rising public contracting wave is driving up social demand for its adoption in critical sectors and projects, and particularly for more precise guidance and references for its adequate implementation.
Building on its extensive work and experience in the field of public contracting, Transparency International (TI) is to implement a project to reinvigorate the Integrity Pact as a golden standard in public procurement and expand global and national coalitions promoting its adoption in critical investments and regulation. The initiative will: 1) reframe and strengthen the Integrity Pact as a global anti-corruption standard; 2) widen the number of policy and business leaders who promote the application and implementation of the Integrity Pact as an anti-corruption standard; and 3) embed the Integrity Pact standard in key contracting projects or regulation in three countries.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: The Public Contracting Specialist is responsible for enabling and ensuring smooth implementation of TI’s ‘Bolstering Integrity in Public Contracting: A Reinvigorated Approach and Coalition on Integrity Pacts’ Project, coordinating the work flow, financial and administrative management of the project and ensuring that agreed goals, good practice standards, donor obligations and TI-S regulations are met relating to project implementation by TI-S and partners. In this context, the Public Contracting Specialist will also be leading on the development of a global standard for the implementation of Integrity Pacts and a global advocacy strategy to foster adoption and implementation of Integrity Pacts and work to build and sustain a global multi-stakeholder coalition for the promotion and application of Integrity Pacts.
Team: Global Policy and Advocacy
Reporting Line: Head of Global Policy and Advocacy
Salary Band: salary according to TI-S internal salary structure; for this position corresponding to band PF2 a salary starting EUR 40,000.00 gross per year depending on relevant experience
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited for a duration of 2 years.
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin – with occasional international travel as needed
Job ID: TIS-PCS-2021
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Reporting to the Head of Global Policy and Advocacy, the Public Contracting Specialist will:
- Lead the implementation of TI’s ‘Bolstering Integrity in Public Contracting: A Reinvigorated Approach and Coalition on Integrity Pacts’ Project, responsible for enabling and monitoring the entire project cycle, including the delivery of the expected outputs and outcomes
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategies, plans and tools in the area of public contracting ensuring they meet organisational objectives, in particular;
- Develop and publish a global standard for the implementation of Integrity Pacts
- Develop a global advocacy strategy to foster adoption and implementation of Integrity Pacts
- Build and sustain a global multi-stakeholder coalition for the promotion and application of Integrity Pacts
- Produce original materials in the area of public contracting and utilise these materials for promoting Integrity Pacts, generating ideas and activities that are aligned with organisational priorities
- Coordinate day-to-day project implementation of the ‘Bolstering Integrity in Public Contracting: A Reinvigorated Approach and Coalition on Integrity Pacts’ Project, including activity planning, budget management, monitoring, and reporting, ensuring that all phases are consistent with the contractual engagement, the design and delivery schedule and internal processes and procedures
- Support the preparation of all project management tools (project calendar, workflows, team collaboration plans, documentation and MEL) together with relevant colleagues
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with the Finance team to build accurate financial forecasts, including reviewing financial reports and identifying in advance areas of over- or under-spending, and flagging any urgent budgetary issues
- Support the TI National Chapters implementing the project, including regular project check-up meetings
- Coordinate the organisation of meetings and events; including preparing documentation before and after events
- Ensure work deliverables meet quality standards and proactively seek input from relevant internal experts, where necessary
- Stay abreast of developments relating to public contracting and be available to respond to on-demand internal and external stakeholder needs; facilitate sharing of best practices and lessons learned among project partners
- Represent the organisation at relevant fora as needed and build relationships and form alliances with external counterparts, communities of practice and stakeholders
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the Global Policy and Advocacy Team providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- University degree in business administration, management, finance, social science, public administration, economics, or another relevant field
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience in the field of anti-corruption, public procurement or citizens’ engagement, preferably in highly impactful projects
- Previous experience of working with multi-country partnerships, including CSOs
- Proven experience with the theory of change methodology, project monitoring, evaluation, and learning
- Experience in managing donor funded projects in the civil society field desired; familiarity with donor rules and regulations and demonstrated in-depth knowledge of project management best practices; solid understanding of budget/financial management processes (working in collaboration with Project Accountants)
- Experience in organizing major events with diverse international partners, in-person and remote
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Strong public speaking skills and ability to communicate effectively to different audiences
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to work on a variety of written outputs in a clear, coherent, and structured way
- Results orientation, resilience and tenacity with the ability to work under pressure in a collaborative setting
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication in English; professional language proficiency in other languages an asset
- Strong communication, team work and intercultural skills, particularly at distance communication
- Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- a dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- opportunities to learn and grow, including regular Show & Tell meetings and visits by external experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- the possibility of Work from Abroad for periods of time (currently for up to 10 working days at a time for a maximum of 20 working days per calendar year), currently being piloted in an ongoing effort to increase virtualisation of work and foster highly collaborative remote work using MS Teams throughout the organisation
- organisational access to the employee assistance programme PME offering support in various areas incl. well-being
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- free health sessions (e.g. back pain prevention) as well as reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter (mentioning also the source of the application and salary expectations) in English, merged into one PDF file, via the online recruitment system clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is Sunday, 3 October 2021.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
To learn more about Transparency International please visit our website and follow us on social media: