ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat is currently seeking to fill the role of Project Accountant in the Finance Team.
Project Accountants work closely with project managers and partners (particularly TI National Chapters) to support the effective financial management of the many projects we run. This includes working with a diverse range of donors and fulfilling differing donor requirements, while also assisting TI National Chapters in developing efficient project financial management systems. The Project Accountant role therefore offers an exciting and challenging opportunity to learn and master all aspects of project financial management.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: The Project Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day financial control within assigned projects, and provides financial management support to project staff. The Project Accountant coordinates the reporting of financial information for regular reporting of assigned projects to project stakeholders.
Team: Finance Team
Reporting Line: Head of Finance
Salary Band: salary according to TI-S internal salary structure; for this position corresponding to band PF2 a salary starting EUR 40,000.00 gross per year depending on relevant experience
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited for a duration of 2 years.
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin, Germany
Job ID: TIS-FT-PA-2021
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Based in the Finance Team and reporting to the Head of Finance, the Project Accountant will:
- Act as the focal point for financial management issues in assigned area, providing financial management support to assigned projects, programmes, teams and their staff
- Working closely with relevant counterparts, develop budgets, including relevant narrative reports; build accurate financial forecasts; monitor expenditure, budgets and cash flows to identify material issues as they arise and propose appropriate preventative interventions and solutions in a timely fashion
- Prepare financial reports to donors, ensuring accuracy and compilation of supporting documentary evidence; engage auditors on project audits
- Support preparation of monthly management accounts, monitoring project income and expenditure and providing accurate explanations for noted variances
- Contribute to the development and implementation of plans, strategies and tools in area of project accounting, ensuring they meet organisational objectives
- Coordinate day-to-day processes to ensure key internal processes are completed in an efficient and timely manner, recommend changes and adjust as needed; ensure the operational efficiency and effectiveness of all project accounting procedures
- Develop, maintain and implement project accounting systems including workflows, processes, controls and documentation
- Stay abreast of developments relating to the area of project accounting and be available to respond to on-demand internal and external stakeholder needs
- Respond to internal requests, analysing and providing solutions in a timely manner
- Coordinate and/or contribute to team projects and provide input on the development of strategies, policies and procedures, taking into account best practice
- Support clear internal communication on project finance across TI-S and the Movement
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the Finance Team providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- Part/Fully qualified Accountant (e.g. ACCA, CIMA or ACA), internal auditor (IIA) or university studies in Accounting, Finance, Economics and/or Business
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience preferably in accounting, audit or financial management
- Expertise in financial management of donor-funded projects (particularly the European Commission) and/or with capacity building for small organisations an advantage
- Experience in connecting programmatic outcomes to financial indicators an asset, particularly if developed within the anti-corruption field
- Knowledge of MS Office; advanced skills in Excel and competence in SQL an advantage
- Strong organisational skills and ability to work against tight deadlines while maintaining attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to work both independently and within the Finance Team and with other teams
- Professional language proficiency in English required; additional languages, in particular German, French and/or Spanish, an advantage
- Good communication skills and ability to explain accounting and financial matters to non-financial staff
- Culturally sensitive and able to handle issues with diplomacy and to cultivate productive working relationships
- Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- a dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- opportunities to learn and grow, including regular Show & Tell meetings and visits by external experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- the possibility of Work from Abroad for periods of time (currently for up to 10 working days at a time for a maximum of 20 working days per calendar year), currently being piloted in an ongoing effort to increase virtualisation of work and foster highly collaborative remote work using MS Teams throughout the organisation
- organisational access to the employee assistance programme PME offering support in various areas incl. well-being
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- free health sessions (e.g. back pain prevention) as well as reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter (mentioning also the source of the application) in English, merged into one PDF file, via the online recruitment system on our TI Webpage (https://www.transparency.org/en/career-tender-opportunities) by clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is Thursday, 3 February 2022.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.