ABOUT TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL
Transparency International is a global movement with one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. With more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, we are leading the fight against corruption to turn this vision into reality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S) is currently seeking a Full Stack Developer to join the Research & Knowledge Team.
Integrity Watch (IW) is the leading online hub that monitors integrity in political decision making across EU countries since 2014. IW collects and harmonises hard-to-access data into searchable platforms, allowing watchdogs, journalists and officials to keep office holders in check. This is the third iteration of the project, which will expand from 8 to 16 countries, including resource allocation data, and developing detection tools of conflicts of interest, undue influence and flows of criminal money. The action aims at strengthened safeguards for the prevention, detection and reduction of political corruption risks in 16 EU countries.
Strengthening Accountability Networks among Civil Society (SANCUS) is an EIDHR grant worth 5 million Euros over three years, from January 2021 to December 2023. It involves four TI chapters as co-applicants and a network of CSOs in seventeen other countries. SANCUS aims to improve democratic accountability of public institutions globally by empowering CSOs to demand systemic change to address accountability and anti-corruption deficits.
A full-time Full Stack Developer is needed working on both Integrity Watch and SANCUS projects with a strong focus on developing digital tools for data management and supporting national chapters’ activities. The Full Stack Developer position will be instrumental in the delivery of all activities under the Integrity Watch Project and will contribute to a large part of deliverables foreseen under SANCUS particularly for the year 2022. The Full Stack Developer will be in charge of programming the back and front end of web-based platforms for 16 chapters in the Integrity Watch Project and 21 chapters in the SANCUS Project.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: The Full Stack Developer will be in charge of programming the back and front end of web based platforms for TI national chapters involved in the Integrity Watch and SANCUS Projects.
Team: Research and Knowledge
Reporting Line: Head of Research and Knowledge
Starting Date: 01.01.2022 / as soon as possible
Contract Duration: 1 year, with the possibility of extension
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin, Germany
Job ID: TIS-RKT-FSD-2021
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Based in the Research and Knowledge Team the Full Stack Developer will:
- Work with a team of project managers, policy specialists, designers, and thematic experts to plan and deliver web-based digital platforms
- Design, develop, test, deploy and maintain digital platforms and support national chapters in the Integrity Watch Project with database building and the development of red-flagging risk indicators
- Coordinate work and collaborate with external developers and national chapters to design, develop and maintain web-based and app-based platforms for the SANCUS project
- Create and document a GitHub repository for each platform and project
- Deliver training workshops and produce hand-over plans to colleagues in national chapters providing detailed explanations on the functionality of the platforms to ensure their usability and sustainability
- Support national chapters with brainstorming and feasibility analyses for projects involving digital platforms and act as an intermediary between thematic specialists and external developers
- Supervise and provide quality support to external developers working on the Integrity Watch and SANCUS projects and where necessary other TI activities
- Contribute to day-to-day work implementation, including work planning, budget management, monitoring, and reporting, ensuring that all phases are consistent with the design and delivery schedule and internal processes and procedures
- Liaise with the IT Manager to ensure that all systems are developed in line with TI’s technology strategy and policy
- Oversee regular testing and auditing of the developed systems to ensure they meet the appropriate security and compliance standards
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the team by providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- Degree and/or professional qualification/s in communication design, computer science, information technologies, and/or other qualifications in web or software development
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience with demonstrated knowledge and experience in web design, front and back end development
- Experience with data visualisation and knowledge of D3.js essential
- Knowledge of Python for the purpose of data-parsing scripts desirable
- Expert-level skills with PHP and database management systems
- Experience with Git-hub
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building / training for non-technical audiences to use technology and/or data, preferably in NGO settings
- Experience in project management as well monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities and projects in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to work independently whilst ensuring open, regular, and pro-active reporting and accountability to the team
- Highly developed teamwork and intercultural communication skills, including distance/remote communication
- Professional language proficiency in English
- Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- a dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in an organisation with a shared, facilitative and inclusive leadership culture with regular Ask Me Anything meetings with the CEO
- opportunities to learn and grow, including regular internal Show & Tell meetings as well as discussions with external experts and online webinars on a wide variety of topics
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- the possibility of Work from Abroad for periods of time (currently for up to 10 working days at a time for a maximum of 20 working days per calendar year), currently being piloted in an ongoing effort to increase virtualisation of work and foster highly collaborative remote work using MS Teams throughout the organisation
- regular staff social events
- organisational membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter (mentioning also the source of the application as well as salary expectations) in English, merged into one PDF file, via the online recruitment system clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is Tuesday, 26 October 2021.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.