ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat is currently seeking a Research Associate to join the Research and Knowledge Team, to support TI’s ‘SANCUS’ and ‘REAP’ projects as well as potentially other projects.
Strengthening Accountability Networks among Civil Society (SANCUS) is an EIDHR grant worth 5 million Euros over three years, from January 2021 to December 2023. It will involve four TI chapters as co-applicants and between 16 and 20 national CSOs, with extensive sub-granting of 3.8 million Euros. SANCUS aims to improve democratic accountability of public institutions globally by empowering CSOs to demand systemic change to address accountability and anti-corruption deficits. The grant builds on TI’s strategic priorities in the areas of strengthening political integrity and protecting civic space.
The Rallying Efforts to Accelerate Progress (REAP) – Africa Inequalities Initiative aims at generating greater evidence on the impact of illicit financial flows and tax evasion and avoidance across the region; identifying key destination countries where international cooperation should be strengthened; exposing inadequacies in legal and institutional frameworks, and raising awareness of citizens and the private sector on the impact of illicit financial flows and tax abuse, amongst others.
The Transparency International Secretariat is currently seeking a Research Associate to provide research and administrative support to the implementation of these two projects, as well as potentially other projects.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: Research and administrative assistance to support the implementation of TI’s ‘SANCUS’ and ‘REAP’ (and potentially other) projects.
Team: Research and Knowledge
Reporting Line: Head of Research and Knowledge
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited for a duration of 2 years.
Working Hours: part time [90%; 36 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin/Germany
Job ID: TIS-RKT-RASRP-2021
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Based in the Research and Knowledge Team, the Research Associate will:
- Support the coordination of work and information flow between the Research and Knowledge Team and other internal teams (e.g. Regional and Global Programmes, Global Movement, Fundraising, Communications, Technology), ensuring process integrity and effective cross-team collaboration
- Conduct background research relating to the work area; respond to internal and external requests from internal and external stakeholders
- Support the Research and Knowledge Team on the delivery of specific products and activities (such as e.g. knowledge generation and exchanges, peer to peer capacity building activities, knowledge dissemination) through background research, quantitative/qualitative data analysis, fact checking, editing, benchmarking, etc.
- Proactively support the Research and Knowledge Team by providing administrative support, including in the organisation of events/meetings, travel, financial and donor reporting, etc.
- Proactively support day-to-day project implementation; ensure consistency with TI-S processes and procedures
- Support in the organisation of events/meetings (e.g. knowledge sharing and capacity building events) and related logistics; contribute to appropriate information management including preparing documentation before and after events
- Support the communication with and coordination of national chapters and partner organisations involved in project implementation
- Respond to requests for information, researching in order to provide responses or escalating where needed
- Provide input into, and/or write, reports, publications, communications materials, web content, etc.
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the Research and Knowledge Team by providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- University degree in social sciences, administration, economics, management, or another relevant field
- 2+ years of relevant experience - preferably with an International NGO or International Organisation - working on administrative support, particularly in research departments, or another relevant field
- Experience in organising events with diverse international partners required
- First-hand experience with donor funded projects in the civil society field an advantage
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Professional language proficiency in English; additional languages, in particular French and/or Spanish, an advantage
- Good MS Office skills, in particular MS Excel
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or interest in good governance and corruption related issues and advocacy, with a particular focus on illicit financial flows and/or democratic accountability a strong advantage
- Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- an inspiring, stimulating, dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities and Getting Things Done (GTD) approach to work
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual team training allowances to onsite professional development opportunities, including regular Show & Tell meetings, Jours Fixes/Flexes and brown bag lunches with visiting experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- organisational access to the employee assistance programme PME offering support in various areas
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- free health sessions (e.g. back pain prevention) as well as reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter explaining suitability against the criteria as set out in the candidate profile in English via the online recruitment system clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is Sunday, 31 January 2021.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.