ABOUT THE ROLE
The Transparency International Secretariat is currently seeking a Communications Manager to join the Communications Team.
OVERVIEW OF KEY DIMENSIONS
Role Purpose: The Communications Manager takes responsibility for and leads on media relations; leads on Rapid Response Unit communications; creates content such as press releases, opinion pieces and news features; advises on messaging and strategically contributes to key launches and advocacy campaigns.
Reporting Line: Head of Communications
Salary Band: salary according to TI-S internal salary structure; for this position corresponding to band PF3 a salary starting EUR 53,000.00 gross per year depending on relevant experience
Starting Date: as soon as possible
Contract Duration: Currently we can offer an employment contract limited for a duration of 2 years. There is a prospect of extension subject to organizational need continuing, performance proven and funding confirmed and there is interest in a stable and long-term cooperation.
Working Hours: full time [100%; 40 hours per week]
Location: Transparency International Secretariat (TI-S), Berlin/Germany
Job ID: TIS-CT-CM-2021
MAIN ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THE ROLE
Reporting to the Head of Communications, the Communications Manager will:
- Manage daily operations in communications and ensure organisational needs and strategic objectives are met in an effective and efficient manner by leading on media relations:
- Lead on the production of press releases, briefings, op-eds and other press materials and oversee responses to incoming media requests, ensuring adherence to professional standards and alignment with Transparency International’s positions
- Identify and act upon opportunities to advance Transparency International’s strategic objectives through media work, by offering comment on emerging stories and trends from relevant experts, developing relationships with key media personalities and connecting Transparency International’s research, policies and advocacy to media narratives and conversations
- Develop, maintain and implement systems that include workflows, processes, controls and documentation for media-related work and monitoring Transparency International’s global media footprint
- Act as the communications lead for TI-S’s Rapid Response Unit (RRU) for responding to emerging threats to the Transparency International movement, its people, brand and work through communications and in close coordination of other teams and chapter colleagues
- Develop, maintain and implement agile RRU processes to ensure they meet the needs of the movement and that outputs continue to be effective and aligned with policies, positions and strategic objectives
- Offer and provide support to the Transparency International movement in response to threats and opportunities, including through outputs such as original content, media outreach and messaging advice
- Create and implement media outreach plans to support the launch of Transparency International’s knowledge products, including the Corruption Perceptions Index, and successful delivery of advocacy campaigns
- Define and measure the success of media outreach and adjust plans and approaches accordingly
- Draft original website content and guide, edit and oversee content produced by colleagues, offering constructive feedback to develop content production capacity across the organisation
- Arrange media trainings for regional and thematic experts and help colleagues prepare for and improve their performance in media interviews, including live television appearances
- Stay up-to-date about trends in the media landscape and help position Transparency International to take advantage of them to advance strategic objectives
- Lead on communications for assigned projects
- Contribute to the overall functioning of the Communications Team by providing proactive and ad hoc support where necessary
In order to succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- 7+ years of progressively responsible professional experience in communications in an international or media organisation
- University degree in communications, media, journalism, public policy, political science, international affairs or another relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in media relations essential, training experience desirable
- Working familiarity with anti-corruption, social justice, good governance or rule of law issues essential
- Excellent communications skills in English (to native speaker standard) required; additional languages – in particular Arabic, French and/or Spanish – an asset
- Excellent writing and editing skills essential
- Strong organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated flexibility, initiative and creativity
- High level of intercultural competence, diplomacy and political sensitivity
- Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International
WHAT WE OFFER
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat candidates can expect:
- the opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues
- a role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues experts in the field of anti-corruption and driven and united by the desire to fight corruption and achieve significant and large-scale replicable impact
- an inspiring, stimulating, dynamic, flexible and international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities and Getting Things Done (GTD) approach to work
- a high degree of collaboration and autonomy in a lean and agile organisation with flat hierarchies, streamlined decision-making processes and a shared leadership culture with servant leadership philosophy
- ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual team training allowances to onsite professional development opportunities, including regular Show & Tell meetings, Jours Fixes/Flexes and brown bag lunches with visiting experts
Staff at TI-S enjoy a competitive compensation & benefits package designed for staff well-being and work life balance, incl.:
- a relocation package incl. sponsorship of work permit if needed and financial contribution to German language classes
- generous time off with 30 days of annual leave per year and flexible working times around core hours
- organisational access to the employee assistance programme PME offering support in various areas
- Sodexo Restaurant Checks with plenty of options nearby the office for reduced prices for meals
- selection of fruits and hot drinks, summer and winter parties, and ‚Social Fridays’ with complimentary snacks and drinks
- free health sessions (e.g. back pain prevention) as well as reduced membership fees with Urban Sports Club
- a centrally located office in a vibrant metropolitan city with excellent public transportation connectivity at the river Spree
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are invited to submit a CV and cover letter (mentioning also the source of the application) in English – merged into one PDF file – via the online recruitment system clicking on the button ‘Apply Online’.
Closing date for applications is Thursday, 29 April 2021.
Only applications duly completed and received through the online recruitment system will be considered.
The Transparency International Secretariat is committed to creating an inclusive work environment where diversity is valued and where there is equality of opportunity. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and therefore welcome applications from qualified candidates of all regions, countries, cultures and backgrounds. Existing permission to work in Germany is not a selection criterion and TI-S supports successful candidates in the process for applying for a work permit, if needed. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis and we do not discriminate on the basis of national origin, race, colour or ethnic background, religious belief, sex, gender identity and expression or sexual orientation, marital or family status, age or ability. We kindly ask applicants to refrain from including in their application information relating to the above as well as from attaching photos.
Please note that Transparency International does not charge any fees at any stage of its recruitment and selection process (whether at application, processing, testing, interviewing, traveling or otherwise). In addition, TI does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.